Blog about our trip to Monterrey!

Friday, June 13, 2008

Week one is done!










Well today was a good day. It was Friday of course! We had our classes and then we met up at school at 3 so we could go on our first excursion. It was just our group so that was kind of nice. We had picked up the boys at 2:30 so we could be at school in time. Drew had only about an hour to nap. Oh well- it's better than nothing!

Our excursion today was to the planetarium. We had a decent drive and got to see more of Monterrey and that was nice too. We were in the ritzier part of town. The planetarium was in a really pretty part of town and there were a lot of trees. It was set up like the Science Place in Dallas and we had a guide go through the areas with us. It was much better than the Science Place and the kids really enjoyed the exhibits. I could only think of Mr. Flint and how much fun he would have with all of this crazy science stuff! The kids all played (including the big kids) with everything and then they watched an IMAX movie. Drew was not having any of that so we went outside. There are fish tanks in the entryway and we looked at fish first, then went outside. There were some outdoor science exhibits too (pictures above) and we had fun playing with those. His favorite area was the botanical gardens. It was so pretty and the breeze was blowing and the weather was just great. So we chilled for awhile and he played and played. The other kids got out of the movie and joined us outside. Jared tweaked his arm on one of the exhibits. He told me he tore his arm. He is fine and it only lasted 2 seconds but that is when I took that picture. Boy did he have fun with the kids. They hadn't seen the big kids for a few days so it was a good reunion. They had a blast as you can see from the pictures. We didn't leave there until 6:30. Bunch of traffic on the way home so we didn't get home until late. We walked back through the school and that is when we saw the baby ducks. Jared thought those were awesome. They were soooo cute walking through the grass. We also saw the peacocks again and Jared was very surprised to see one just walking next to him like no big deal. He did not get to see the deer though. He did get some money for PawPaw though and he had a death grip on it. Jared talked to Kyle tonight and he talked the whole phone card so that was awesome. I talked to Mom after the boys went to bed.

Tomorrow morning we will meet back at school at 10am for our city tour. It will be 4 hours and we have lunch built into there. I am excited about this and 10am shouldn't be too bad. The buses are not school buses either but the nice buses with air conditioning. The Tec doesn't do anything 2nd class! So we will have the afternoon and evening free- and all of Sunday too. I have 3 journal articles to write and need to take my final. I think I will do that tomorrow so I will have a six day break before my next class starts.

We have homework for history too. We have a 3-4 page essay (typed) that is due Monday, 3 "debate" questions and to study for our test on Monday. Should be interesting. Today's business class was awesome. We did skits and they were all very good. The teacher was very impressed with how easily the kids spoke in front of the class. I told her yesterday that they were used to doing that since they had to do that for me all the time (part of the AP Lang test requires them to speak formally for 2 minutes over a topic they find out about 5 minutes beforehand). So she was very pleased. Kids incorporated a lot of the new vocabulary they had learned as well.

The kids are very excited about the trip. Some went out last night to that school sponsored Salsa class and had a good time meeting new people. I am very proud of how they handle themselves. They are very pleased with how much they have learned this week even though it has been a long and tiring week.

I know this is long but there was a lot going on today! When we went to pick up the boys we spoke with the owner. She told us how friendly the boys are and how quickly they have fit in with everyone else. Drew made a little thing for Eric for Father's Day. It has his huge handprint (Drew's, not Eric's) and it says, "Papá a bordo" which means "Dad on board". It even has the suction cup to put it on the window. I was touched.

Well I guess this is long enough. I better get to bed. Drew went to bed early without much dinner so I bet he will be up early!

:) I don't like how the pictures ended up on this post but I can't do anything to fix it!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It makes me so happy that you are blogging while you are in Mexico!!! Now I feel like I can stay connected with what you guys are up to. Hope your excursion today was fun!

About Me

My photo
If you know me, you know me.