Blog about our trip to Monterrey!

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Beeeeeeeeeeeer


Well it's Thursday. It was hot and I sweated most of the afternoon which is not something I particularly enjoy. To start it off we got to our first class late because we started at 8:30 and not 9am like normal. I didn't know we were going to do that and Eric didn't understand that was the plan so we walked in late. No biggie but it was kind of weird. :) Classes went well though. History is flying by. The business class is very interesting and I have already figured out how I could teach that class at school if we were given the opportunity.


Eric and I ate lunch at Doñá Tota and it was quite yummy. We came back and rested for about 20 minutes and then it was time to go on our tour. Eric had talked to Giannina this morning and he got it arranged where the bus would come pick us up at our apartments instead of us walking over to where we usually catch it. That was great. We were supposed to leave at 2:30 but we didn't leave until after 3.... GRRR We left the kids at daycare because this was not a place for them to be. We had a dress code to follow too so we were all in pants and closed toed shoes. Man it wasn't hot or anything!! Anyway, the bus we were on was not air conditioned and there was not a lot of air on the bus. Outside was fine in the shade but our bus felt like an oven and of course we hit every red light and got a little lost.

We went on this field trip because this cerveceria is kind of what brought Monterrey into the place it is today. The relatives of the founders have invested their money into the city since 1890 and they have taken very good care of their employees. One of the family members is who founded the Tec de Monterrey. This factory makes and distributes Tecate, Dos Equis, Bohemia, Sol etc. We had a very informative presentation on how the beer is made, what goes into it etc. I feel like I learned a lot. We were not able to go on the coolest part of the tour because they were using the room we would have been in for some kind of fancy reception. sheesh... but what we saw was cool.

The Mexican Baseball Hall of Fame is adjacent to the cerveceria and we went in there as well. I think it is cool and I think Jared would like it. There are some interactive exhibits he could do and plus it just is pretty nifty.

Out in the garden area is where you could sample their beer for free if you were not a minor. I thought I would try some out even though I really don't like beer. I had a couple of drinks but not all of it. First and only time my students will see me drink. Erica and Zulema had the fruit juice they gave to the kids.

We left about 5:15 so we could pick up the boys. The ride back was just as hot and sweaty... We picked them up and then walked to eat some tacos. The place wasn't open yet so we went to Subway. I was so hot and so tired... I was able to recuperate at the Subway because the a/c was sooooo awesome. We went and tried out a new ice cream place too and boy was that tasty. Jared got it ALL over him and Drew did a good job of that as well. Jared had chocolate with marshmallows in it. I had cajeta and Eric had the same flavor as Jared. Drew had some of mine and Eric's and he is an ice cream freak.

Jared went on his field trip today and had a really good time. It sounds like they were able to get him to chill out about some of the animals he is kind of freaked out about. Bottom line was he had a good time even though he is much older than the rest of the kids. He is a good boy. :)

Boys are all clean and in bed. I am going to try and sleep tonight as well. I am tired of not sleeping!!!

BTW, in yesterday's post I forgot to explain Drew's shirt. It's my shirt but Drew insisted on wearing it. He would take it off and then try to put it back on again. He is a mess! Well that is all for today... Tomorrow is Friday! Our last weekend here in Monterrey. Wow!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
If you know me, you know me.