Blog about our trip to Monterrey!

Monday, June 16, 2008

Just another manic Monday...

Well another day and no pictures. We were busy being school kids I guess. Today started out really humid and I did not do well with that. In class I had to get something to eat that was sweet and gradually it got better but it kept coming back and that is just annoying.

Our classes are more intense and I think that is good. Kids need a challenge and I think they are up for it. Our history class is only covering 300 years this week. Unfortunately we get history condensed in a tiny little package but it is good. I can only imagine what kinds of details and stories we are missing but what can you do? We had our history test the first hour and it was 2 essay questions. He had given each of us a topic to study so we could just focus on those areas and that definitely made it easier.

Eric had a nap after class and I went to eat with some of the kids at a snack bar. We hadn't been there yet and the food was much cheaper than the Big Meal at the main cafeteria. We had chilaquiles and some had burgers. It was all good. Eric was going to take the girls to Costco and I was going to go to the bank to figure out how to get the kids their refunds. As it turns out I didn't go to the bank but Eric did go to Costco. Instead, I was talking to Jerram on Messenger and I told him what I was trying to do so he graciously helped us out and is getting the money to us by tomorrow. It was not a complicated process but it was easier for him to start it on that end and since he is a B of A account holder as well then there was no problem. I shall go and get the money after lunch tomorrow. The bank is at the other end of the school so I will go while we are there and then just walk home after lunch. So even though I didn't actually 'go' to the bank, I still got that accomplished. Thank you Jerram! By the way, he and Emily got married Thursday and I think that is rather cool.

We didn't do a whole lot tonight. Eric went to Costco and WalMart with the girls so the shopping was done. He got more water and Gatorade- can you imagine?

I went and checked on all the kids after dinner. I wanted to make sure that they were using their time wisely. Surprisingly a lot of them were really tired today because they stayed up really late writing their essay for history class. HA! I wanted to "help" them realize how important studying was etc. and to manage their time more effectively. I brought Drew with me because I knew he wouldn't be such a spaz in their apartments. He gets really shy around them and then loosens up. I thought Jared and Eric could have some downtime in the apartment. I went to one of the apartments and found 6 of the girls there. They were having a full-blown home-cooked meal! Claudia knocked everyone's socks off by making steak and pork empanizado and fried potatoes. It was awesome. They had a whole little dinner party there and I was mad I had already eaten. We had some good conversation though and then I headed to see the other girls. Rita and Yanira were "sleeping" but I decided to wake them up anyway and I know they were glad to see me. Had a good talk with them and then ran into David and Jimmy on the way back to our room. Jimmy isn't part of our group per se, but he has been grouped with us. He is a college student in San Antonio and came by himself. He is a good guy and fits in well with our group. He is 26 and married too. I didn't see Diana and Mary but they came by after working out so I was able to meet with each one of them. Good times.

Jared and Eric played catch at the park and then everyone got ready for bed. They were tired kids. Had a good day at daycare and ate good dinners. They are doing such a great job.

Not much else to report. Wednesday we go to an art museum and Friday we leave for Zacatecas. We might go to the history museum tomorrow because admission is free. It is really nice too. We were there for 2 minutes Saturday but that is when we saw the price was free Sundays and Tuesdays so we opted to come back one of those days. So that might be on tomorrow's agenda after school and picking up the money for the kids etc... It's supposed to be stupid hot again tomorrow. Yahoo!!!

But we are having a great time!!!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
If you know me, you know me.