Blog about our trip to Monterrey!

Monday, July 7, 2008

The last day...





First of all, it rained for the first time Thursday night! About 9pm we heard a ton of racket and it was the rain on the roof of the school next door. It rained all night. It hadn't rained the whole time we were there! So that was just awesome. I couldn't really sleep. GRRR. I had packed up about everything and I justs wanted to sleep. So much for that.
We got up and the boys got ready and headed for daycare. We got ready and walked to school in the rain. It was wild. It wasn't raining super hard but since it hadn't rained at all the whole month we were there it was kind of strange. We had a really great business class. One of Rosy's friends is a literature professor and she specializes in Chicano literature. She came and talked to us about the genre and had some books for everyone to look at. One of the cool things about the class was that the kids were looking at the books and making connections to things they learned in the Mexican History class. That was great. They knew that if they hadn't had the other class then the two things that stood out to them in this one particular story would not have made sense at all. I love those moments! It was a really great session. But it was the last one and that was a bummer. We all took pictures as you can see above. I think they turned out well. That is the whole group- minus Amparo and Zulema. They left late Thursday evening to go home with their Dad.
Thursday in history I had asked if Nava could teach modern Mexico- from 94-present. I wasn't sure if he would or not but when we got to class - it was all over the board. We weren't supposed to have much of a class but he really took my request seriously and presented a fabulous lesson. We were all taking notes even though there was no test or anything. It was great to see him work extemporaneously like that and the information was awesome. The kids really enjoyed his class. Today's lesson really just put the finishing touch on the whole month of history. Again we took pictures and those are above as well.
The school had organized a going away lunch for everyone but that was to be at 1:30 and we wanted to hit the road before then so we could make the border at a decent time. We weren't sure if we were going to stay in San Antonio or if we would try to drive all the way through. We figured we would just play it by ear and see how things unfolded. So we said goodbye to the kids and that was kind of a bummer. Most of them are seniors and have graduated so I won't see them again next year. Kind of a smack in the face but hey that is reality.
Eric went to pick up the boys and I finished packing up the last few things. I brought some things down to the van and then the kids came home. We loaded everyone up, dropped off the keys and we were on our way. Really weird feeling.
The drive was fine. Jared played games and Drew fell asleep. It rained sporadically on our way through Nuevo Leon but there wasn't a lot of traffic and the rain never got super bad so it wasn't crazy nuts or anything. What was crazy is how Jared had to use the bathroom. There was nothing in sight and we didn't want to stop and wake up Drew. It is much easier to drive when Drew is asleep! Soooooo I poured a bottle of water out the window and Jared peed in that. Yeah. That was fun. But it worked and we didn't have to stop.
We hit Nuevo Laredo about 4:30. We had to stop at the border and cancel the sticker for the van. That didn't take long and then we had to get in the lovely, long line to cross the bridge. It took FOREVER! Goodness. A little over an hour... everyone was getting a little irritated. We finally got to the customs agent and we were on our way. We ate dinner at IHOP and man that was good. I swear we looked like we were eating our last meal or something.
So we thought we would stop in San Antonio or a little further south. Let's just say that wasn't happening on the 4th of July. I called hotels, we stopped at hotels and there wasn't anything vacant. Eric said that was our sign to keep driving all the way through- and that is what we did.
Austin was pretty busy- we came through there a little after 11 and fireworks must have just ended. I was driving so Eric could get a little rest and then he would finish the drive. The boys were both asleep and that was great. I knew we would get in late and I wanted them to just be able to fall asleep in their own beds when we got here. I told Eric I would let him drive at midnight- and I was looking for an easy on/off exit. Yeah well I didn't really find one and at about that same time is when the State Trooper pulled me over for going 71 in a 65. PUHLEEZE! Anyway, I just got a warning but it is only the 2nd time I have ever been pulled over in my life so it was a little unnerving. Drew woke up and said hi to the nice policeman.
Eric drove after that and we got home around 2:30. Plucked the boys out of the van and put them in bed. Everyone seemed to be able to sleep except for me. Finally about 4:30 I slept. THANK GOD! I was in my own bed!!!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
If you know me, you know me.